Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 10, 2010

This morning I woke up early, worked out in the basement with Cinn as an audience, and then let her know that I had not forgotten the promise yet. After I bathed and had a snack, I slipped on her collar and we set off.

We started with a trip out to the Sunshine Valley. It was still pitch black, but we could see the river and Finn's little old farm house. We sat outside for a moment before I gave her a big snuggle and headed off. We drove around town to every house that we had ever lived in. All the while, she smiled wildly because she was able to sit in the copilot seat and watch out the front window. Dogs have to be the happiest animals on earth-- probably why they are our best friends.

After our little adventure, the two of us stopped off at Starbucks to pick up a caramel machiato for Tracie. The lady at the window commented on how cute Cinn was, and asked what breed. I told her that she was a pure breed Labrador, even though many people mistake her because of her broad head and body. As she turned, I heard her commenting to her co worker that she really needed a dog.

I took off Cinn's collar when we got home, but in her excitement she jumped back. She yelped because it caught on her ear, ensuring that Trace was awake. I delivered the coffee, telling Trace that we had just gotten in from a drive. Everything went off without a hitch, other than the collar hitching onto her ear.

The day at school passed quickly while waiting for the appointment. At 2:50 or so, Trace arrived at the school. We drove straight to Kamloops Vet clinic, and the receptionist greeted us-- immediately recognizing Cinnamon with a smile and, "Hello monster."

The wait for the appointment was short, but interminable. About five minutes later, we heard the receptionist in the room saying, "What the heck did Ken do in here?"

She hustled around cleaning up, and then invited us in. Dr. Gummeson came into the room a few moments later and asked us what was up and how Cinnamon's ears were. I told him about the new bump, and about the encounter with the younger dog that I hoped had triggered it. He listened patiently while checking Cinn's ears and her entire body as I made her stand in place with the leash wrapped around her tummy.

After checking her out thoroughly, he took two samples from her lump. He told us that most likely it was a lump of subcutaneous fat that had lain under her muscle for years and had jumped to the surface during her scuffle with Tyker. He took the sample into the other room and looked it over while we went outside with the pup.

Ten minutes later, he returned to the room with good news. Cinn was fine and it was a fat lump. I told him that I had never hugged a vet before, and he gave me a hug. After the appointment, we went to the comic store, for supper, and to A&W for a puppy burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment